Monday, June 9, 2008

T minus 7 days

Apparently, South Africa and Zambia will be assaulting me with an entire host of diseases, and I need to put them in my bloodstream beforehand so I don't get sick later (aka getting vaccines.) What are the names of my silent enemies?

  • Malaria
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Typhoid
  • Polio
  • Rabies
  • Meningitis
  • Influenza
  • Measles
  • Pneumococcus
  • Tetanus & diphteria
  • Varicella

  • Fortunately, I've been immunized against most of them already, and I've only had to get three needles jabbed into my arm. I still need to get my malaria pills, which are doxycycline because they're cheaper and I have a lower risk of developing light sensitivity.

    This trip is different than most in that I've been largely the one coordinating my personal preparation needs instead of my parents. (This isn't to be confused with Jenny and Dan's work, which has been immense and beyond anything I am capable of organizing right now.) But it's actually a lot of work figuring out what needs to be done and then getting everything together, especially when school factors in. Travel insurance, visas--blurgh. On the bright side, it's gotten my organized.

    Next up: a few scenarios.

    0 comments: